Scams & Cons
I have a particular dislike for schemes whose very existence is dependent on separating good people from their hard-earned, while offering zilch in terms of value in return. Unfortunately, there are those who disagree and will take any opportunity to scam you.
From their perspective, anyone stupid enough to fall for it deserves to. If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably fallen for a scam at least once before or at least know someone who has. So how do you know when a website or online offer is trying to scam you? How do you tell the online crook from the legitimate website?
Here are a few things to look out for to help identify the scammer.:
- It has the hallmarks of what’s often referred to as a “Get Rich Quick” scheme.
- It offers unrealistically high potential gains with little effort on your part.
- You get 10 minutes into a video presentation of their offer, and they haven’t said anything useful yet.
- The website doesn’t include contact info so you can’t complain afterwards, or take advantage of the money-back guarantee they kept blowing on about.
- You get next to nothing unless you upgrade, and upgrade, and upgrade.
- They want money upfront. There’s no free trial before a money commitment.
- It costs a ridiculous amount of money, for which it promises the earth.
- It is clearly a pyramid scheme.
- It involves gambling or lotteries and promises huge gains.
- It offers huge gains on the stock market without knowledge or experience. Beware in particular of Binary Options, which are extremely risky!
- There’s a picture of a dude on his yacht / at his mansion / holding a huge bundle of cash and sporting a ridiculous grin.
If even one of the above apply, think twice, or three times. If more than one applies, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.
I hope this helps to provide you with an outline of what you should be looking out for. The above is not an exclusive list however and it’s always extremely important to be on your guard whenever you consider subscribing to any online offer.